Thursday, March 26, 2009

Supping on tofu














Lately I've been really sweet on tofu cutlets, a variety of which is shown here with sweet potato homefries and a big helping of cauliflower and broccoli. Ben and I prepare our cutlets in a few different ways: baked or sautéed, and either breaded or unbreaded. The delicious cuties shown here were breaded (that is, dredged in a flour/cornmeal/nutritional yeast/salt/pepper/basil/oregano/cayenne mixture), then sautéed. If we have any nuts on hand, a tablespoon of ground almonds or pecans in the flour mixture adds special flavor and texture.

If I bake the tofu cutlets instead of sautéeing on the stovetop, I tend to go unbreaded. I just slice up the tofu and place it in a large Pyrex with a whisked-together mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, a bit of water, and whatever spices I'm feeling. It bakes at 350 degrees, covered, for 20-30 minutes, then uncovered until the edges dry out just a bit.

These are also lovely with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, and a side of fresh spinach cooked down with a bit of garlic, olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, and salt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment