Monday, April 06, 2009

Carrot cake cupcakes



















While making my no-fail fancy dessert for dinner yesterday,* I was pleased to have a little extra batter to turn into cupcakes, one of which is shown above. Why was this exciting? Because freezing cupcakes makes it easy to add a bit of cake to bento lunches. It's always about bento! My no-fail fancy dessert, incidentally, is a moist, tender carrot cake made with applesauce and walnuts and cinnamon and nutmeg; I didn't photograph it, because it's one of those unphotogenic serve-from-the-pan cakes, but trust me, the taste is outta this world. The frosting is a splurge-worthy mixture of Tofutti vegan cream cheese (I know, I know), a bit of lemon juice or orange zest, and powdered sugar. I admit it's always a hit, and one of those cakes that garners the "I can't believe it's vegan!" raves from omnivores.

* A fancy dessert was in order because we had Ben's college roommate over for dinner. They were roomies fifteen years ago!

0 comments:

Post a Comment