Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Sprucing up the place

The tree is up! And so are a few photos of some of my
favorite ornaments:

First, my sweet Chinese angel tree-topper. This photo is from
when I first bought her (can you guess the price?) last year.
I treasure her sweet expression and haircut, and that
unaccountable burlap dress. She's both rustic and
transcendental:




















An old blonde angel, papier-mache or something:



















One of my dearest... a decked-out, Christmasy toadstool house! Or is it a sweetbun? Either way, can I rent that apartment?



















"Lobster Claus" is one of our more bizarre trinkets:


















A vintage metal snowman... one of two I snagged for next to nothing at one of those churchy thrift stores where the white-haired ladies don't know what anything should cost. I almost felt guilty, but it's not my fault they price horrible, unsellable Cosby sweaters at $9.50 and then give away 1950s collector's items for fifty cents each. Really, it's not.


















This is one of several corn husk dolls I love. The lady shown here is a drummer, but we have a violinist and a few others who seem to be doing housework (like sweeping the floor). I should have photographed the one who appears to be shaking her fist at the Man.


















And this little exhibition doesn't even include any of the so-sweet-they-bring-tears-to-the-eyes Christmas ornaments given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law... irreplaceable memorabilia from my man's childhood. Those are precious indeed.

I'd love to hear about your favorite Christmas tree ornaments. And if you have one that's weirder than Lobster Claus, I'd like to damn well see it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment