Friday, April 18, 2008

Good luck, Crunch!











Armed with the two free tickets I got from school, Ben and I went
to an NBA basketball game the other night. He likes basketball,
and I was curious about it, so we showed up at the Target Center
and found our nosebleed seats. Here's where our story takes a
surprising turn: people, that game was ridiculously freaking fun!
For real. Spectators are kept constantly entertained by:
a) a blimp that drops prizes from the sky,
b) recognizable rock songs,
c) a senior citizen dance team,
d) the regular dance team,
e) the antics of the Timberwolves' mascot,*
f) easy-to-learn chants and cheers,
g) raffles and freethrow contests, and
h) a Chinese acrobat!

They also do this fun thing where a giant spotlight swirls around the upper levels of the stadium, and whichever section it lands on gets a crapload of free ice cream! Even Ben and I were screaming, "Over heeeere! C'mon, our section!" And we're vegan. Anyway, even the basketball game itself wasn't boring like I expected. Plus, we ate french fries.

There are many things wrong with pro sports, but last night I couldn't think of a single one of them.

*Crunch, pictured here, is, apparently, the Timberwolves' mascot. His endearing stunts and gags did win me over, and when he/she put on his/her enormous rollerbades to perform a trick involving what I perceived as a frighteningly steep ramp, I found myself screaming, "Good luck, Crunch!!!!!!" and "We love you, Crunch!!!!!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment