Sunday, April 20, 2008

Russian over to the museum.

Ben and I and our out-of-town guest spent Saturday afternoon at the gorgeous Museum
of Russian Art
. It houses the premiere
collection of Russian art in the U.S.
and it's right here in Minneapolis! Curious about how this international treasure ended up in the middle of Minnesota, I did a little research (and a little more) and discovered that there is in fact a strong community of Russian immigrants here, most of whom arrived in Minnesota in the 1990s after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Neat. The same sort of thing was true in the central Pennsylvania town I lived in during the late '90s. I was doing community education back then, and my evening ESL class was made up almost entirely of recent Russian immigrants.

0 comments:

Post a Comment