Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ye Olde Vegan English Feaste











To celebrate finishing my reading of Richardson's 1747 epistolary novel, Clarissa, I prepared two traditional English dishes: a shepherd's pie crowned with golden mashed potatoes, and an old-fashioned tarte of pippins (to us modern yanks, that's an apple tart). The tart--shown above--turned out fine, but the shepherd's pie, with its characteristic fluffy, golden topping, was extraordinarily nice. Ben and I didn't listen to any madrigals or anything, but I'm pretty sure we played the Kinks that day. They're British, right?

I was too tired and impatient to measure anything that evening, but to make the savory pie I basically sauteed several cups of vegetables (leek, onion, carrot, corn, whatever root vegetables were around), used lots of spices (thyme, sage, oregano, basil, and black pepper, I think), stirred in some mild yellow miso paste, used some soy sauce and sesame oil, thickened the whole thing with a cornstarch slurry, and stirred in some faux ground beef. Whipped up some vegan mashed potatoes to throw on top, then baked it all for about fifteen minutes.

As for the "tarte of pippins," the secret is that a tart is really just an open-faced pie. And you already know how to make a pie.

Top to bottom: disappearing tart, tart crust, yet another picture of a tart, vegan shepherd's pie, and mo' shepherd's pie.







1 comment:

  1. these can be included at my "international house of vegan desserts". Yummy pippins.

    ReplyDelete